Thank you for stopping by the Wise Training calendar. We are currently following the recommendations of governmental officials for in person meetings and gatherings. As a result, all Wise training will be delivered online until it is deemed appropriate by federal and state officials to meet in-person. Please join us online and let’s stay connected!
Language Access Forum Series: Technology Access
May 18, 2022
The Language Access Forum Series Expanding possibilities in the IDD service system
For the next Language Access Forum, we will come together to brainstorm ideas, resources, and options for technology access. We will hear from various community, county, and state partners who will share what is working and where are the opportunities to grow. As always, we will hold space for small group conversations to capture both what is happening now and what are the opportunities for learning and growth where you live.
Future session: Building Our Interpreter Network
This session is open to anyone in the IDD community invested in expanding language accessibility. We encourage professionals working in the IDD community to attend if they are interested in providing better supports to people whose primary communication is not spoken English.
People who utilize language services are also highly encouraged to attend and share their perspectives and expertise. Please let us know on the next page if you will require interpretation or any other accommodations to fully participate.
This series is collaboratively funded by the following entities: Kittitas County, Snohomish County, Benton-Franklin County, Whatcom County, Pierce County, Kitsap County, Lewis County, Jefferson County, King County, Clark County, and Washington State DVR
Save the Date! Future session will be held on the following Wednesdays from 3:30 - 5:00pm PST: June 15th
Meet Your Facilitator!
Moses Perez, Open Doors for Multicultural Families
- Born in Tucson, AZ to a single Latina mom with polio, who raised us, 5 children, by herself
- Identify as Latino /Chicano who has experienced ADHD from 4th grade to present
- Two of my elder siblings have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and Bipolar disorders
- Served in the US Army with a 14-month tour in Seoul, South Korea.
- Worked for Intuit, Inc for 6 years in software consulting as their Developmental Supervisor. In addition, I was a special project facilitator for their Latino Employee Network & QuickBooks Latino Customer Base
- Worked in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico for 5 years helping local communities, while learning more about my culture and the Latino mindset
Served as a community liaison in Eastern North Carolina for 7 years; working with Latino Immigrant Populations (access to public services)
- Served on multiple state and county boards, representing the voice of Latinos in healthcare, legal, education, housing, substance abuse, and various other public sectors
- Helped these various sectors to incorporate linguistic and cultural supports; according to the expressed needs and ideas of BIPOC communities
Currently employed with Open Doors for Multicultural Families as Advocacy & Civic Engagement Program Manager:
- Developed and delivered Family Leadership Advocacy Training for and by Multicultural Families
- Cohort #1 had 18 parent graduates representing 8 different languages & 8 different cultures
- Cohort #2 had 8 parents representing 4 different languages and cultures
- Leading legislative efforts for Language Access in K-12 Schools (HB1153, Budget Proviso and now SHB1153)
- Secured Rep. Tina Orwall as our multi-year efforts champion for this legislation
- Ensuring parents voices are centered and involved throughout the process
- One of 4 Steering Committee Members for the Language Access Working Group (OSPI, PESB, OEO)
- Co-Chair of Washington State Coalition on Language Access (WASCLA)
- Recent facilitated meetings:
- Washington Developmental Disability Council (DDC) Northstar Initiative- Omnibus bill (with over 100 community collaborators)
- WA State Needs Project Workgroup
- WASCLA’s Annual Strategic Planning Meeting
- Annual Strategic Planning with The Association on Successful Parenting (TASP)