Wise Webinar A Day Series:
Losing Control Stepping back to Positive Support with Chuck Goodwin
The strategy of control and behavior management continued as individuals were introduced into the community. The strategies that encouraged dependence, helplessness and frustration didn’t work. This session will look at strategies of positive behavioral support in supported employment. We will explore the idea of focusing on the positive, understanding and influencing the things that are in our control by stepping back, listening and observing. This will connect to the Webinar tomorrow done by Dave Black on Negotiation
- Help community members to demystify disability
- History of the failure of behavior Management in the move to the community
- How the approach of Positive support translates to employment
- Learn to Step back and Listen rather than analyzing and fixing
- The 3 critical factors of Positive Behavioral support
- How to encourage teamwork and reciprocity on the job
- Strategies for Interdependence
* Please note – there are no refunds for those that do not attend the scheduled webinar. If you do miss the webinar, we will provide you with a code to access the next webinar free.
Chuck Goodwin, Wise Associate
Chuck Goodwin has worked for over 30 years with individuals with developmental disabilities in a variety of capacities. He has worked in both the residential and vocational arenas providing direct support for individuals. For the past 13 years as a private consultant around the Northwest, he has provided trainings on such subjects as positive behavioral supports, history and values around services, job coaching, supporting individuals with challenging behaviors, precision training, natural supports, utilizing community resources, and vocational issues. He has provided technical assistance to employment agencies around teaching individuals difficult tasks using universal design, understanding and supporting individuals with challenging behaviors, creating schedules, analyzing and modifying work flow issues, working with speed and quality issues, and teaching self-management. His passion is helping individuals who are struggling to find success. He continues to work individually with people and their families to help them realize their potential.